This is one of my favourite go-to appetizer. I usually have a block of firm tofu or what is left of it in my fridge. When the midnight craving hits you but you’re too lazy, a few of these poppers will satisfy your appetite. Make the salted cucumber salad in advance and store in fridge for even quicker snack.
1/2 block of firm tofu
1/2 Joseon cucumber
1 tbsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp soy sauce
a pinch of Korean chili powder
a drizzle of sesame oil
1. Cut cucumber into half moons. First cut in half lengthwise then slice thinly across.
2. Salt the cucumber slices with coarse salt. Cover and let it sit for around 30 minutes or until the flesh of cucumber is softer and you see some excess liquid in the bowl
3. Squeeze out and discard the extra liquid from the cucumber and season with soy sauce, chili powder, and sesame oil. Mix well.
4. Cut the tofu into bite-size square blocks.
5. Make a rose bud shape by putting together the cucumber slices. Place on the tofu blocks.